Re:RE: RE: Manager decrees "his" data warehouse design. Hel

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:52:34 -0800

S.A.M.E, Stripe And Mirror Everything. It's a concept that came from an individual at Oracle with a significant pile of alphabet soup after his name who has lost most of his credibility anywhere.

  He was speaking though of Network Attached Storage (NAS) stuff where you really don't have to worry about the mount point/drive letter where you put the datafile(s). These neato devices do make some of the DBA's tasks of IO balancing meaningless since they do stripe data across multiple disks and run hardware mirroring in the background. In turn they retrieve your data from the most efficient place possible & buffer your writes in cache memory that 'guarantees' that it will absolutely make it to disk.

  What I think has happen is that some of his idea was taken out of context, though not out of quote, and made meaningless. You should still have logical database design and multiple tablespaces/datafiles. It's just that you really don't care is everything is on drive H.

Dick Goulet
PS: I've not implemented such an idea & have no intention thereof in the near future. Reason, NAS storage is not here.

Author: "Michael Cupp" <michaelcupp_at_SHONAC.com>
Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net

Author: Bellows, Bambi
  INET: BBellows_at_usg.com

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

Author: Michael Cupp
  INET: michaelcupp_at_SHONAC.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 27 2002 - 16:52:34 CST