RE: RE: Manager decrees "his" data warehouse design. Help!

From: Ji, Richard <Richard.Ji_at_MobileSpring.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:24:04 -0800

www.kx.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 2:38 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

By taking all the joins out I think they mean basically forcing Oracle to store the row data in the same blocks since you changes the rows to columns or some such. I saw a database out there a while back promoted by Joe Celko called KillerDB that does this but the data is still stored in rows. It was used for very large decision making systems. I can't find the site anymore so perhaps just another .com gone bust.

Author: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com
Date:       2/27/2002 10:28 AM

April,

I sincerely hope you're being facetious with the statement that "queries run so much faster if you take all the joins out"

1000 columns!?
How many rows like that will fit in a block? Your system has to wade through
a lot of extraneous data to get a few columns for a query.

How do you index it? You can't.

It would be most interesting if you share your benchmarks with us.

Jared

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net

Author: Ji, Richard
  INET: Richard.Ji_at_MobileSpring.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 27 2002 - 14:24:04 CST