RE: Old Chestnut: Tablespace Fragmentation

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:53:31 -0800

Bill - My Tech. Service Manager keeps reminding me that "disk isn't so simple anymore". You are probably on RAID for the higher read performance. Now your file is broken across several disks. Of course, to get the straight read, the controller can't service anyone else's requests while your scan continues uninterrupted. Just some other thoughts.

        By the way, yesterday I was able to reduce the full-table scan time on our data warehouse from over 2 minutes to below 10 seconds. I broke the table into 54 partitions so the most common queries were able to scan just the minimum amount of the table they need. Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Bill Buchan
  INET: wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com

Author: Seefelt, Beth
  INET: Beth.Seefelt_at_TetleyUSA.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 27 2002 - 09:53:31 CST