RE: moving from unix to NT

From: John Dunn <john.dunn_at_sefas.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:53:20 -0800

Thanks to everyone for their input into this. The only real issue seems to be UTL_FILE on network drives.

  1. I was interested in the many references to Perl as an alternative to using UTL_FILE. Could any of you provide more detail. I know nothing about Perl so would be interested in how to replace the use of UTL_FILE in PL/SQL with Perl. We use UTL_FILE quite a lot for reading and writing flat files.
  2. With regard to external procedures, On Unix we currently use this to call a C routine that calls the system command to run Unix commands and scripts(Korn Shell). I presume we will need to amend these commands to their NT equivalents(or can I call Windows API directly from PL/SQL? on NT) and re-write the scripts...presumably in Perl?

It will probbably be Oracle 9i on NT.

John

Author: John Dunn
  INET: john.dunn_at_sefas.co.uk