RE: DBMS_STATS in 8.1.6

From: Christian Trassens <ctrassens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:28:20 -0800

Sorry, I haven't explained myself correctly. When you have first run a dbms_stats to generate on partitioned tables, analyze doesn't generate any. However, this applies for compute statistics.

I think this article could explain you better than I:

Doc ID: Note:97207.1
Type: PROBLEM
 Content Type: TEXT/PLAIN
Creation Date: 24-JAN-2000
Last Revision Date: 28-MAR-2001

Problem Description

You have run ANALYZE TABLE COMPUTE STATISTICS on a partitioned table and the
statistics in dba_tables have not been replaced.

Solution Description

You ran the dbms_stats package to get statistics on the partitioned table with
granularity = ALL. By running the dbms_stats package on the table the
global_stats column in dba_tables is set to YES.

You need to do the following to delete the stats generated by the dbms_stats
package:

        execute dbms_stats.delete_table_stats(ownname => 'SCOTT', tabname =>

        'ORDERS', cascade_parts => TRUE);

Once you have done that you can run the ANALYZE TABLE and the statistics will
populate dba_tables.

Explanation

When analyzing a partitioned table with dbms_stats package, the global_stats
flag is set. When it is set in this case you need to use the dbms_stats package
to delete the statistics before the ANALYZE command can be used on the table.

References

[BUG:908138] Additional Search Words

Regards.

Ing. Christian Trassens