(no subject)

From: <DBAtracker_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:53:34 -0800

I'm a student dba'r running 9i on windows xp. I have created a second database (database name=bill, instance name = bill). After I first created it, I tried to mount it after shutting down the installation seed database
(database name = orcl, instance name = orcl). I kept getting the message
'cannot mount database in exclusive mode'. After several attempts to get out of exclusive mode, I gave up. The next night, without making any changes, I tried again and this time I was sucessful in mounting the bill database. I created a data tablespace (data) and four tables which I populated. Then I queried the database name from v$database and got the response 'bill'. Next I queried the instance name from v$instance and got 'orcl' when I should have gotten 'bill'. I double checked the database name and again got 'bill'. How can this be? But the real problem is that when I tried to mount the database bill again tonight, I again got the message ''cannot mount database in exclusive mode'. I can't find an explanation for this in the book. I tried to startup nomount using the 'bill' pfile which showed an idel instance started. Then I tried to issue the alter database mount parallel command but it comes back with the 'cannot mount database in exclusive mode'. When I then query the instance_name from v$instance I get orcl instead of bill. Can any one help me out?
Thanks!
Bill Johnson

  INET: DBAtracker_at_aol.com