Re: Oracle Licensing - Concurrent users

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:40:33 -0800

"Smith, Ron L." wrote:

> We have been asked to gather statistics on the number of clients using
> Oracle. This is being done to determine if we have sufficient licensing.
> We have about 100 instances to monitor.
>
> Has anyone done this? Any ideas on what "Concurrent users" might mean to
> the majority of people?
>
> We have both Oracle 7 and Oracle 8.
>
> Ron Smith
> DBA
> Kerr-McGee Corp

Well, I have just been working on this for one of my customers last week. The obvious thing is to query V$SESSION at regular intervals (dbms_job can help) and what you can do is store the result through a database link to a single instance. Where it was tricky was that we wanted to identify 'system' processes (easy, except that job processes are marked as 'USER', which is debatable), and (that's where the snag is) processes which are the results of a connection through a database link. The logic is that a database link is initiated by a 'normal' connection - for which the full-blown licence is already paid. So they should not exactly count as much as regular connection; and if this is not a good argument, then it is probably possible to reduce their number by shifting around applications. Ultimately we could apply Larry's favorite concept of 'single instance' (anyway I have always found DB links messy).
My trouble was that nothing, but human knowledge, can tell whether the connection comes from a database link or is genuine (if somebody has a way, please share !). All the user information (machine, program, module, action ...) comes from the initial connection and is propagated. I have solved this (not fully satisfactorily) by having a table automatically inserted with unknown (machine, program) pairs and manually updated to say 'If we see this program on this database, then it comes from a database link' - or 'anything coming from this machine must come from a database link'. Added something for connection from HTTP servers, although I doubt that those will be spontaneously discussed during the negotiation.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Ltd