Re: Oracle Licensing - Concurrent users

From: <traci.l.rebman_at_rrd.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:44:54 -0800

Ron,

It is funny you mentioned this, just last week our corporate office asked us to run a script...provided by Oracle...to gather user/session information to determine if we have enough licences. The thing that I found odd, was that they wanted this information from every single database including all development, test, stress, production, and crash & burn. I have never heard of Oracle doing this before...we thought maybe management was trying to determine if we have enough work to do :) I am glad to hear that we are not the only ones being asked for this information.

Below are the requirements we were asked to follow.

  1. The DBA's must provide the 5 critical pieces of info( for each database) necessary in order to start our licensing auditing:

Server name (must be in DNS)
Database Name
Connect String
Oracle Version
Application Type

2. DBA's must create a user LMS on each database to be monitored. The enclosed script must be run in order to create a LMS user. We will modify our TNSNAMES.ora to remotely access this information from the information on the OSW worksheet that is returned.

3. DBA's must add this process to create the LMS user & give Corporate access to monitor new databases on a on-going basis in order for RRD to comply with Oracle licensing agreements.

Traci L. Rebman
Oracle Database Administrator
R.R. Donnelley & Sons Financial

                    "Smith, Ron
                    L."                  To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <rlsmith_at_kmg.c       cc:
                    om>                  Subject:     Oracle Licensing - Concurrent users
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.c
                    om

                    02/19/2002
                    02:14 PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

We have been asked to gather statistics on the number of clients using Oracle. This is being done to determine if we have sufficient licensing. We have about 100 instances to monitor.

Has anyone done this? Any ideas on what "Concurrent users" might mean to the majority of people?

We have both Oracle 7 and Oracle 8.

Ron Smith
DBA
Kerr-McGee Corp