Re: [Fwd: UNIX Performance Issues]

From: Rahul Dandekar <rvd_oracle_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 04:58:32 -0800

MessageJames,

Interleaved, please find my reply....

+Rahul

  Rahul,

  Did you get a response on this? I'm not sure I fully understand the actual question - are you looking for specific commands you need to run to get the information, [Rahul] Yes. I would like to know which flags of the commonly used commands give good information. For general System stats, I use "sar -u" (same as default), for Memory / Virtual Memory I use "vmstat" and look for "r b w swap free pi po us sy id" columns. I am looking for general monitoring. And once we have this general information giving a overall picture, we could know if there is a problem and we could investigate further. I am specifically looking for IO and Network statistics. Is there any command which would give me approx IO of the system, say in last 5 minutes or current?
How to get network statistics? I was littlebit confused with netstat. There are two main categories in my output : hme0 and Total. What does that mean?

    input hme0 output input (Total) output packets errs packets errs colls packets errs packets errs colls

5757291 0     2447690 0     0      6071152 0     2761551 0     0
45      0     1       0     0      45      0     1       0     0
24      0     2       0     0      24      0     2       0     0

What I plan to do is to take snapshot of all these statistics at a certain frequency and put it in database. Later on I could generate reports based on this. Currently, I have a lot of "Camera"s like this taking snapshots of my system. Others involve Oracle stuff like DB Size Growth, Performance Ratios, UNIX File System usage, Replication Statistics, Growth of DB objects, a lot of monitors for application info (e.g. total # of clients, # of invoices generated per day). I generate trends based on this archival data for capacity planning and proactively anticipating chronic problems.
  or advice on how to interpret it? Don't forget that you will really need to correlate many of these   statistics to the Oracle pathology at the same time. You said it! I want co-relation of Application Load, UNIX System Load and Database Statistics. And not just when the problem arises. So, that's what I am trying to develop.

  This then causes a problem because your sample points will at the very least experience clock drift and become harder to compare over time. There are ways to solve it, though.   Anyway, if you could elaborate a little, I can try to assist!   Regards

  James
  --
  James Morle
  Scale Abilities, Ltd