Re: Disable certain users from login to database while applying Human

From: <hemantchitale_at_charteredsemi.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:13:19 -0800

As you are talking of Oracle Apps, NONE of the suggested solutions :

1.  Database ON LOGON Trigger
2.  Lock Database Account
3.  Change Database Account Password
4.  Startup Database in Restricted mode

would work.

The users connect to the Database in the APPS schema -- this is the
"universal"

schema that Oracle Apps uses. The Patch requires APPS so Restricted doesn't
help (unless you grant Restricted to APPS in which case all the users can logon).
Ditto about locking, changing password or writing a trigger on the APPS schema.

What you can do are :

1. Shutdown the Apache server for the Self-Service Modules
2. Shutdown the Forms server for the Forms Module
3. Shutdown the Concurrent Managers.

All of the above would affect ALL users.

Alternatively, login to the Application as the System Administrator user and
change the Application User Passwords for the users whom you want disabled. Change the passwords back to a default (WELCOME) later.

However, what you SHOULD do, per Oracle Support, is 1. Shutdown 2. Shutdown 3. Shutdown
as I have listed above.
If you are familiar with Oracle Applications Patching and are comfortable with reading
the Patch drivers, you can figure out what database objects are being modified/updated/created
and what Forms/Reports/HTML etc files are being modified/created by the patch.
Then you can take an intelligent decision .... should you allow users to logon when
applying the patch ?

Hemant K Chitale
Principal DBA
Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd

"CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)" <clchan_at_nie.edu.sg> 18/02/2002 03:28 PM
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

Please respond to ORACLE-L

             To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
             cc: (bcc: CHITALE Hemant Krishnarao/IT/CHRT/ST Group)
             Subject: Disable certain users from login to database while applying
             Human

Hi Gurus,

I need to disable certain users from login to database while I apply the Human Resources Patches for our Oracle HR 11i Applications. Which is the best way to do it ? Should I write on-logon trigger to disable or should I take away their privileges to logon to report/forms/sqlplus ? What about the rest of the DBA Applications administrator ? What do U guys do to solve the dead-lock problem (If my users access the HR tables while I apply the patches, I will encounter dead-lock problem) ?

Please advise. Thanks.

Regds,
New Bee

Author: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)
  INET: clchan_at_nie.edu.sg

  INET: hemantchitale_at_charteredsemi.com