RE: Personal Experiences in Oracle

From: Sam Bootsma <SamB_at_cpas.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:30:51 -0800

Are you happy with your career in DBA?
I am about 2/3 of the way to
loving my job.  I have been since I started my job as DBA three years ago.

Has the training been worth it?
I was disappointed with the
instructor in the single Oracle course I took ... so no.
I took one MS TCP/IP course
which was excellent (because of the instructor)

What skills/abilities/personality traits do you feel are important?

What is a typical "day in the life" of a DBA?

About 20% hectic days.
About 60% normal days?  About 20% quiet days.   A handful of days in the year are very hectic.  I am fortunate enough not to have to carry a pager.  I have come in on a weekend just one time.

Is your workday isolated, or do you have opportunities to interact with others?
Lots of opportunities to work
with others.  I interact with almost everybody in the company.  A lot more interaction then when I was a "programmer/analyst"

Are positions predominately in small or large companies?

Mine is a small company, around
60 people

Do you feel you have solid job security?  Yes.

What is your opinion of the current and future job market?

Should be good.  More
difficult for beginners though - but networking should help a lot.

Sam.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Lissa Lieberum   [mailto:lieberla_at_umdnj.edu]Sent: February 15, 2002 1:55   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Personal Experiences in Oracle
  Hello all.  I'm new to this mailing list and hoping I   can count on you for some feedback to help me make an important   decision.

  I'm doing as much research as possible in preparation   for a possible career change as an Oracle DBA/P. I would appreciate   some feedback on  what your personal experience has been:   i.e.,
  Are you happy with your career in DBA?   Has the training been worth it?
  What skills/abilities/personality traits do you feel   are important?
  What is a typical "day in the life" of a DBA?

  Is your workday isolated, or do you have opportunities to   interact with others?
  Are positions predominately in small or large   companies?
  Do you feel you have solid job security?    What is your opinion of the current and future job market?

  etc.!
  Any and all information would be heartily appreciated.   Positive and negative comments are both welcomed! Received on Fri Feb 15 2002 - 16:30:51 CST