RE: Oracle Advanced Replication

From: Ji, Richard <Richard.Ji_at_MobileSpring.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:09:36 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Nick,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Does SharePlex support user defined object types?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Richard

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Nick Wagner   [mailto:Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com]Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 2:09   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   Oracle Advanced Replication
  All this talk of replication is really nice.

  SharePlex for Oracle, can handle master to master replication.   Conflicts are handled via pl/sql procedures inside the database, where you can   determine exactly what happens when there is a conflict. SharePlex performs   really well whether it is a batch program doing massive DML operations, or   many small OLTP type transactions.  SharePlex can handle around 300-500   DML operations per second in most situations... more if the hardware and   database are tuned properly.
  As for failover, it works VERY well, and can handle many of   the datatypes that trigger based replication can not support.  LONGs and   LONG RAWs especially...  One other thing SharePlex can replicate are   sequences.  If you have sequences that generate PK's or unique keys, then   you should probably replicate them, otherwise after a failure, you will have   to find out what the highest value for those sequences are for each of your   tables, and then rebuild all the sequences. This can take a long time, even on   a medium sized database.
  Just a couple of things to think over, when selecting a   replication product.
  Nick
  -----Original Message----- From: Gary   Weber [<A
  href="mailto:gweber_at_charlesjones.com">mailto:gweber_at_charlesjones.com]   Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 10:14 AM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: RE: Oracle Advanced Replication   Pete,
  I've implemented a very similar solution recently for   BEA-based application. Two database servers,   Multi-master replication between two databases, 1 <FONT   size=2>minute propagation interval. Works great on our hardware, which was   designed for the purpose and is pretty fast. Small   transactions - OLTP stuff - seem to replicate well.   The same can not be said for large DML operations. So <FONT   size=2>far, I've been unable to tune replication so that it is capable   of propagated batch type changes for large amounts of   data - the receiving site seems to be converting the   DML based on internal algorithm, which throws my <FONT   size=2>indexing approach out of the window. Oracle Support has been of no   help, other then suggesting different indexing for   failover site.
  Gary Weber Senior DBA <FONT
  size=2>Charles Jones, LLC||Superior Information Services, LLC <FONT   size=2>609-530-1144, ext 5529
  -----Original Message----- Sent:
  Thursday, February 14, 2002 5:04 PM To: Multiple   recipients of list ORACLE-L
  We are looking at Advanced Replication as a fail over   option for a web site.  Straight forward   installation, both boxes on the same subnet on their   own dmz. The servers will be located on the same rack   in the computer room. Very few tables storing data   from an application that is tracking click through   data.
  Does anyone see any flaws with the basic plan?    Any hidden 'features' that we may run into?

  Thanks