Re: Personal Experiences in Oracle

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:55:21 -0800

My comments are interleaved:

                    Lissa

                    Lieberum             To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

                    <lieberla            <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    @umdnj.edu>          cc:

                    Sent by: root        Subject:     Personal Experiences in Oracle

                    02/15/2002

                    01:54 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hello all.  I'm new to this mailing list and hoping I can count on you for some feedback to help me make an important decision.

I'm doing as much research as possible in preparation for a possible career change as an Oracle DBA/P. I would appreciate some feedback on what your personal experience has been:
i.e.,
Are you happy with your career in DBA?

YES Has the training been worth it?

Oracle in-classroom training on DBA related skills has been worthwhile. Other training "related" to Oracle -- if I had paid for it I would have felt cheated.

What skills/abilities/personality traits do you feel are important?

You have to be able to put up with clueless, non-technical people who have no idea about what they're asking you to do but assume that, since it's being done with computers, it must be easy. Truly, no one but another Oracle DBA will understand the difficulty or ease of what you do.

What is a typical "day in the life" of a DBA?

Hours of boredom (good), interspersed with moments of terror (bad).

Is your workday isolated, or do you have opportunities to interact with others?

Interaction is limited to other DBAs, System Admins, management, and developers. Sometimes INFOSEC will talk to you.

Are positions predominately in small or large companies?

I've worked in companies from 130,000 to 6 people. Obviously there are more jobs in a large company than in a small one but there are many more small companies around and sometimes the position with a small company can be more rewarding in that you make more of an impact. BOB -- the sound of a DBA hitting his/her head against the wall (but only until the idea of going back and explaining to the customer just how silly their idea is begins to look like an attractive alternative).

Do you feel you have solid job security?

Yes. Oracle DBAs will be in demand for any foreseeable future. I've never stayed with a company more than 3 years as a DBA. The current job market is not structured for long-term jobs in the IT field.

What is your opinion of the current and future job market?

See above. You have to manage your own career. You can't assume that some company will be looking out for your best interests. Also, you will have to be constantly learning. The technology is always changing and what was a bed-rock certainly two versions ago is obsolete rubbish today.

etc.!

Any and all information would be heartily appreciated. Positive and negative comments are both welcomed!

  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 15 2002 - 13:55:21 CST