RE: Oracle Advanced Replication

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:18:25 -0800

Peter - Since nobody seems to be answering your question, I guess you get the second tier here. I have not used Oracle Replication, but I have studied it some. The first thing I seem to always hear about Oracle's Replication is that you must be careful or it won't be able to keep up. The other thing they point out is that the application must be designed for replication, but I'm not sure this applies in the failover application you describe. But it could get messy since you must configure replication on each of your tables. I know that the Replication advocates mention how it can be used for a standby database, and if you had an offsite disaster recovery site, I would say Replication would be worth a look.

        What you are proposing sounds a lot like Oracle9i's new Real Application Clusters (RAC), or Oracle's Standby database. Another idea if you insist on replication would be to look at Quest's SharePlex.

        In the worst case, maybe my reply will encourage someone with replication experience to reply.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Peter Barnett
  INET: regdba_at_yahoo.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 15 2002 - 10:18:25 CST