Import Behaviour on constraints

From: Arslan Dar <arslandar_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:03:33 -0800

Hi list,

Here is a quick question which often bothers me

I have a schema A, B and C

All three have integrity constraints referring to each other like,

Schema A has some child tables whose parent tables are in schema B

Schema B has some child tables whose parent tables are in schema C

Schema C has some child tables whose parent tables are in schema A

Means all schemas are having parent and child tables,

Now if I have to move the fresh data made in schema A on production db to the test db, what is the most appropriate way,

The changes on the production database may be in terms of DDL/DML/Constraints/Triggers etc.

If I drop all the objects in schema A(using cascade constraints) on Test Box, and then import it from production db then what will happen to the foreign keys in schema B and C which referred to the master tables in schema A. Are they lost forever ( I mean the constraints).???

Or should I try some better way to have one schema refreshed.  Whole DB cloning at Test box is one way, but I want just one schema to be refreshed at a time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Arslan Zaheer Dar

arslandar_at_skm.org.pk

Database Administrator

Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital & Research Centre

www.shaukatkhanum.org.pk Received on Fri Feb 15 2002 - 06:03:33 CST