Re: Re[2]: [sans@sans.org: SANS FLASH ALERT: Widespread SNMP Vul

From: <Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:27:34 -0800

As I have done a bit of networking and set up stuff to monitor equipment with SNMP I will confirm that SNMP uses a port that the snmpd or equivalent listens to and then passes the request to the appropriate process depending on what is registered with the snmpd. This is usually done on unix if I remember using /etc/.snmp/conf. If really interested start looking in man snmpd

Yes Oracle itself may not be vunerable but depending on the OS and system patches snmpd on that system may be vunerable so if your network engineers that did your firewalling are less than you hoped for you probably will have trouble. If your firewall is sound then I cant see this being a problem. your biggest worry in any site is the perimeter router as it nearly always has SNMP turned on for monitoring purposes and tools such as HP Openview to manage these. and you will have snmp open over the firewall between this router and the monitoring station /Openview system. Good firewall rules should protect you, but that is for your network engineers to decide.

HTH Cheers

Peter McLarty               E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_mincom.com
Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.mincom.com
APAC Technical Services     Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
Brisbane,  Australia        Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
                            Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

    - Walter Bagehot (1826-1877 British Economist)
Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

dgoulet_at_vicr.com
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
15/02/2002 08:41 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        Re[2]: [sans_at_sans.org: SANS FLASH ALERT: Widespread SNMP Vul

Ray,

    No, but I do have a SA who believes that to be true.  I'll try to
explain it
as he did.

    The DBSNMP agent registers a MIB with the snmp agent.  It is the snmp
agent
that has the interface to the world.  As he put it, it's not the back end
that
has the problem, but the front end that faces the network, namely the snmp
agent.

    As to your nervousness, our facilities folks are using the back of my
chair
as a paint shaker.

Dick Goulet

Author: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date:       2/14/2002 12:18 PM

Dick, does this mean that you have firsthand knowledge that
the oracle's snmp code is free from the underlying vulnerabilities?
There was no mention of Oracle in the advisory.  This could mean
that they did not respond or they are not vulnerable.

I posted to the Oracle Networking Technical Forum yesterday on this
issue, but there has been no Oracle Corp response.  You can search
for SNMP to follow their response.

Joan, Dick is certainly correct here with respect to the the system snmp
agent.  The sysadmins need to address this by either patching or disabling
snmpd.  However, unless Oracle confirms they did not use the old flawed
code,
I don't see any reason to assume their product is not vulnerable.  Until
they do, I will:

1) be nervous,
2) bug oracle corp,
3) confirm ip filter rules,
4) study dbsnmp

-- =============================================================== Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 KE4TJC 28^D -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Ray Stell INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless expressly stated otherwise. -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).