RE: FRAGMENTATION ISSUE?

From: Miller, Jay <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:20:25 -0800

Shaibal is right on target. If you're going to go to the trouble to defragment then you may as well switch to uniform extent sizing so you don't have the problem in the future.

If you have the room you can do it in stages. First create an index tablespace and rebuild all your indexes in that. Then create a table tablespace(s), then you can export all the tables, drop them and recreate the table structures with uniform extents or locally managed and import them.

If you have tables of widely varying size then you could set up multiple tablespaces (ts_small, ts_medium, etc).

Jay Miller

Author: Miller, Jay
  INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com