Re: DB sizing - whitepaper

From: <david.m.harris_at_verizon.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:55:41 -0800

   > "How you plan the Database sizing for a given application?"

     Ramesh,

      They may have been looking for a more obvious response, like starting with the type of

    application rather than its size; I'm familiar with transaction processing systems (ie, an ATM)

    and decision support systems (mainly read only quering systems). It appears to me the way they

    phrased the question is that they are trying to find out your step-by-step process of deciding on the

    required space for an application, so this may not be a direct answer such as referring to the tablespace syntax.

    However, I agree with your logic, and Bjorn's reply because there are several factors and

    I/O efficiency is one of them. Just my 2 cents.

       HTH,       David Harris
  Web Technology
  Verizon Communications

rpapnoi_at_chemtex.co.in_at_fatcity.com on 02/14/2002 04:58:21 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

Bjørn
What you say is true. Now my question is What should be the answer to the question "How you plan the Database sizing for a given application?". I faced
it in a DBA interview. I did mention about the requied tablespaces, storage parameters etc depending on Application size. Am I missing something? Seniors, please advice.

Regards,
Ramesh D Papnoi
Oracle DBA @ Chemtex Global Engineers Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, India (BrainBench & Brainbuzz Certified Oracle 8/8i DBA & Developer) http://www22.Brinkster.com/rpapnoi

To: internet["Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>]

Ramesh,

I presume you are looking for something to tell you how to configure a database server, and such a thing does not exist. Period.

The real answer is, that this is far too application dependent, and that only the application developers can provide anything of this kind. And even in this case, such configuration guides are often more misleading than guiding. There have been attempts at making rules like "this application is like X tpc-c transactions", but they also fail to be of any actual value.

Also, if what you really were looking for was something to tell you the size (in GB) of the required disk to store schema with a certain definition, you could create some rough estimates. However, with todays typical disksizes, you run out of spindles much before you run out of GB.

Thanks, Bjørn.

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Engsig
  INET: bengsig_at_yahoo.com

  INET: rpapnoi_at_chemtex.co.in