RE: Oracle and Apache Web server bottleneck

From: Vergara, Michael (TEM) <mvergara_at_guidant.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:16:16 -0800

Hm...a 12x36 disk array. Is that an AutoRAID?

I had one of those hooked up to a 6-way K570 running PeopleSoft over Oracle 8.0.5. Yuck. P**s-poor performance all the way around. Especially when the disks started to fill up. The problem was that the array got so busy internally swapping stuff from the RAID 5 area to the RAID 0 area that it could not service the I/O requests from the database. We went to a fiber array and most of the problems disappeared.

If you are using an AutoRAID, check your internal statistics to see if you're swapping like mad in there.

HTH,
Mike

Author: Don
  INET: dondealy_at_teleport.com

Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
  INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 14 2002 - 10:16:16 CST