Re: RedHat Linux 7.2 & Oracle 9i Shutdown

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:54:58 -0800

Thank you. Not sure if it will work, but I was missing an K00... entry in rc2.d. I just linked it, lets see what happens on next bounce.

>>> sfaroult_at_oriole.com 02/13/02 03:32PM >>>
Gene Sais wrote:

> its set to Y. i think its a linux issue, just wondering anyone else using linux and
>when rebooting the server it shutdowns the db's? it calls the scripts to startup
>just not the shutdown.

> Please also ensure you have entry of your databases in /etc/oratab file
> whith last field as 'Y'. You oratab file may be on differnt location than
> /etc. Check for $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart file for exact location of oratab
> file
> Regards
> Rafiq

> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:03:35 -0800
>
> Did you test the scripts from the command line??
>
> /etc/init.d/dbora stop
> /etc/init.d/dbora start
>
> ?
>
> -Joe
>
> --- Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us> wrote:
> > OS: redhat linux 7.2
> > DB: oracle 9.0.1
> > Issue: Databases startup but do not shutdown
> >
> > I placed the db startup and shutdown scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d
> > directories and linked them to rc0.d, rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d, rc5.d.
> > The databases startup fine, however they do NOT shutdown when I
> > issue "shutdown -r now" command from root. Any clues, hints?
> > Maybe I have to put the K00* in all rc.d dirs????
> >
> > Gene

Gene,

   I have a Mandrake 8.0 distrib, which is based on RedHat. Here is the result of find /etc/rc -name '*oracle*' :

/etc/rc.d/init.d/oracle
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K01oracle
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K01oracle
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K01oracle
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S98oracle
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S98oracle
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S98oracle
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K01oracle

(All K* and S* are links to the script in init.d). And here is oracle under init.d (note that my ORACLE_HOME is hard-coded - as a general rule, when you have several versions of Oracle which coexist on a machine, call the scripts from the most recent version, they now how to start/stop older ones, the reverse is not true):

if [ $# -gt 1 ]; then

        shift
        $0 $*

fi