RE: URGENT: need help by point in time recovery

From: Johnston, Tim <TJohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:07:04 -0800

Hi
Volker...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
You
should be able to do this...  Just make sure you use a "using backup controlfile" on your recover command...  Alternatively, you could mount the database and rename the datafiles instead of recreating the controlfile...  Either way, use the "using backup controlfile" in your recover command...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Tim

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: v.schoen_at_inplan.de   [mailto:v.schoen_at_inplan.de]Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 3:32   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   URGENT: need help by point in time recovery   Hi list,
  I have a urgent problem. One of our developers has deleted   all rows of a table on production database (database of a customer from us).   We have a nightly cold backup and database is running in archivelog mode. On   same server we have a test instance which has same structure as prod instance,   only the folders are others. What I like to do is:

  1. go to production and backup controlfile to trace
  2. copy the cold backup (production) from last night into this test instance folders (datafiles, controlfiles...) <FONT face=Arial>3. copy archive logs of production to archive log folders from test 4. startup testinstance nomaount
  3. create new controlfile with backuped controlfile from trace 6. recover database until 'yyyy-dd-mm hh:........ 7. export deleted table and import it in production database My question is, if I make a clone of a database from a nightly cold backup, can I recover the database with newer archivelogs. Or is there any other method to get my data back (I don't have a actual export of database)? TIA Volker Schoen <FONT face=Arial color=#000000>E-Mail: <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff>v.schoen_at_inplan.de <A href="http://www.inplan.de"><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff>http://www.inplan.de