Re[4]: Date format element rule change

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:59:18 -0800

Alexander,

Your example below is very helpful, and explains why I recalled that duplicating date elements was possible. I probably used TO_CHAR to test this in the past, while the other day I was using ALTER SESSION.

My theory on why you can't duplicate elements when setting NLS_DATE_FORMAT is that the NLS_DATE_FORMAT value gets used for both input AND output. It's no problem to spit the month out twice in two different ways, but there's probably some issues involved with making users specify the month twice. For example, what if a user specifies two different months, as in: Feb (03) 15, 2002?

This is becomming clearer to me now. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698 http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://ValleySpur.com

AFmc> You can, using to_char, but not in "alter ... nls ..."
SQL>> select to_char(sysdate,'Mon (MM) DD, YYYY') from dual;
AFmc> TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'
AFmc> Feb (02) 11, 2002
AFmc> 1 row selected.

AFmc> Alex.

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Feb 12 2002 - 15:59:18 CST