Re: Upgrading from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 - Please help

From: <Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:21:46 -0800

Obviously this WAS not a production database. If you were not aware that a new OS was being installed and that Oracle was being wiped out then
step 1 Get a competent SA

I do not know UNIX but I would think you have to re-install 8.0.5,
do backup
restore 8.0.5 datafiles,redo,controlfiles,etc. Modify controlfile to point to restored files

Once database is started then you can proceed to upgrade to 8.1.7

I do not think you can do
"can I simply install 8.1.7 and perform a migration using 8.1.7 on the old 8.0.5 datafiles?"

Rick

                    "Fred Smith"

                    <fred_fred_1_at_ho        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    tmail.com>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     Upgrading from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7
- Please help
                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    02/12/2002

                    10:28 AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Hello list,
  I am attempting to upgrade my database from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7. I had the old

8.0.5 database on a SunOS 5.6 database. I performed a full cold-backup of the database. The SA then did a rebuild on the server to upgrade the OS to

SunOS 5.8. There is no Oracle software or data on the server now.   My question is: Now that I want to go to 8.1.7, do I have to first install 8.0.5 and bring the database up prior to installing 8.1.7 and upgrading, OR ... can I simply install 8.1.7 and perform a migration using 8.1.7 on the old 8.0.5 datafiles? How does this work?

Thanks in advance,
  -Fred S.

Author: Fred Smith
  INET: fred_fred_1_at_hotmail.com

  INET: Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Feb 12 2002 - 11:21:46 CST