Re: White space compression in Oracle

From: Bjørn Engsig <bengsig_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 03:12:25 -0800

Marc,

There are subtle differences between CHAR and VARCHAR2 when it comes to comparison semantics as CHAR comparisons are blank padded, which VARCHAR2 are not.

Thanks, Bjørn.

Marc Perkowitz wrote:

  Beth,
  Actually, varchar2 is char with the trailing spaces removed.  What's the difficulty with switching to varchar2?  Does RDB regenerate the white spaces when retrieving the data or something?    Generally, everyone uses varchar2 in Oracle.

  Marc Perkowitz
Senior Consultant
TWJ Consulting, LLC

  847-256-8866 x15