Re: Bitmap Indexes

From: Helen J Mitchell <HelenJMitchell_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:25:21 -0800

oops ... forgot ...
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

  Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:23   AM
  Subject: Re: Bitmap Indexes

  Helen,

  Attachments do not make it to the list.
  Igor Neyman, OCP DBA<A
  href="mailto:ineyman_at_perceptron.com">ineyman_at_perceptron.com

  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

    Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 12:18     PM

    Hi,

    Here is an article about it bitmap indexes     ...  I hope this gives you information.
    Helen
<BLOCKQUOTE

      Kirti,
      Just cureous. Normally bitmap indexes ae ae used for low cardinality
      columns. I am confused when you state - "Just one table uses it(bitmap
      index), with b-tree indexes

      >for PKry and one other non-unique index"
      If you mean - you use Bitmap index for the non unique index with b-tree
      index for PKey I am OK with that.
      Shaibal

      >From: "Deshpande, Kirti"
      >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

      >Subject: RE: Bitmap Indexes
      >Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:58:20 -0800
      >
      >Ethan,
      > I have been using bitmap and b-tree indexes on the same
      table in our data
      >mart since 7.3.4. Never had a problem with query
      performance. Now we have
      >partitioned the tables in 8.1.7.x and most tables that were
      using bitmaps do
      >not need to use them anymore. Just one table uses it, with
      b-tree indexes
      >for PKry and one other non-unique index. No problems so
      far.
      > The only issue we had with bitmap indexes was the way it
      used up extents,
      >if those were not droppped before the dataloads. The
      problem still exists
      >with 8.1.7.x. Have not tried with 9i yet..
      >
      >HTH,
      >
      >- Kirti

      occasionally get into
      >trouble --- this has to do with the Oracle optimizer
      deciding, on the fly,
      >to convert a regular b-tree index into a bitmap. It does
      this so that it
      >can AND or OR the various bitmap indexes together. Sounds
      great on the
      >surface but when this occurs, response time goes in the
      toilet.

      >In one situation we have, we have a fact table with two
      bitmap indexes and a
      >few other b-tree indexes. A particular query we run bogs
      down (NEVER
      >COMPLETES) with this mix of indexes. Based on the access
      path that's being
      >chosen, we know which b-tree index is being converted on
      the fly. If we
      >convert that b-tree index into a bitmap (so we now have 3
      bitmap indexes and
      >Oracle does not need to create the third one on the fly),
      the query really
      >runs well. If we replace the bitmap indexes with b-tree
      indexes (so we only
      >have b-tree indexes), we get decent response times. (This
      is all on Oracle
      >8.1.7.2.0, by the way.)
      >
      >I'm wondering if the rest of you data warehouse DBAs have
      gone "whole hog"
      >with bitmap indexes. My testing shows that when Oracle
      doesn't have to
      >create a bitmap index on the fly, the queries respond
      wonderfully. So, I'm
      >wondering if our dabbling is actually a bad validation
      approach and,
      >instead, we should be 'running' with LOTS bitmap indexes
      instead of
      >'crawling' with only a few of them. In other words, maybe
      we're not "taking
      >all of our medication", as someone else put it recently.
      >
      >Any insight would be most appreciated. I'm not looking for
      insight on the
      >query I have used as an example. I'm looking for a
      generalized answer that
      >says, "Yes, if you start using bitmap indexes, you should
      go TOTALLY to
      >bitmap indexes" or, "Hmmm, we're using some bitmap indexes
      and some b-tree
      >indexes and don't have the problem you have".
      >--

      >--
      >Author: Post, Ethan
      > INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net
      >--

      >--
      >Author: Deshpande, Kirti
      > INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com
      >
      >Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858)
      538-5051
      >San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
      Lists
      You may
      >also send the HELP command for other information (like
      subscribing).

      MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: <A
      href="http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag3_etl_EN.asp">Click Here-- Please
      see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Shaibal
      Talukder INET: shaibal_talukder_at_hotmail.com Fat City Network Services --