RE: TFM

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:03:12 -0800

April,

  We upgraded from 10.7 to 11i. We had to apply around 200 patches. The entire upgrade project took 9 months.
  I suggest hiring consultants to help with the install. This will consume 100% of you time until it is fully implemented. After that it will consume around 50% of your time, depending on the modules you will be using. If you are the only DBA, start pushing management to hire another person. You will need to tune the concurrent managers, apply patches, "clone" the entire environment, etc. We have 1 person dedicated to administering the applications portion - creating users, monitoring the concurrent managers, assisting users with problems, applying patches, etc. We have a dba dedicated to backups, tuning, assisting with patches, assisting with client issues, etc.
  Welcome to hell.

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications
Ephrata, PA USA

>>> Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com 02/08/02 09:08AM >>>
April:

  Let me add to Bambi's wonderful comments. Administering Oracle Applications can be a daunting task. Like no other canned application you have ever implemented. Don't count on the product installing correctly 100%. Don't count on just installing it one time and then leaving it alone. I guarantee that you will be applying thousands of patches once the installation is "complete???". This product needs A LOT of hand holding so get your boots on and be ready.

  There are many people in this and the OAUG forum that can help you. I would suggest reading the installation and configuration guide cover to cover and preparing you System Admins for hell.

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Technical Alliance Manager
Compuware Corporation
Direct: (248) 865-4350
Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com