MAX_IO_SIZE and Temp Next Extent approach to ORA-03232 Error

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 16:57:05 -0800

Listers,

Environment: Solaris 7 running 64 Bit Oracle 8.1.7.2.x.

Received an ORA-03232 error this morning after bumping up the HASH_AREA_SIZE on a QA box overnight. HASH_MULTIBLOCK_IO_COUNT is 0, and has been 0 for as long as I know, meaning that Oracle calculates the value on the fly for each individual SQL statement. From information found in Metalink forums, etc, it appears that this has popped up on lots of people after bumping up HASH_AREA_SIZE. Though I couldn't find anything describing *how* Oracle calc's the HASH_MULTIBLOCK_IO_COUNT when set to zero, it appears the HASH_AREA_SIZE plays some role, based on Usenet and MetaLink forum comments.

Anyway, to the question. Some of the Oracle notes say that as long as the NEXT extent size for the TEMP tablespace is greater than MAX_IO_SIZE, which is OS dependent (and on Solaris defined by maxphys, I think) the problem should go away. But, some folks posting in the forums say that even if they went with something along the lines of 1 MB for initial and next, with a max_io_size of 128K, they still encountered the error.

Anyway, the quick fix was to set HASH_MUTLIBLOCK_IO_COUNT to 2 since this could be done with an ALTER SYSTEM command. But I am curious what other people may have done who have run into with this. We eventually would like to go back to a HASH_MULTIBLOCK_IO_COUNT of 0, if only because Oracle recommends that (good advice?), and address this through appropriate TEMP extent sizing. Heck, you could make the extents pretty large but you would like to know up front if the "fix" will work. So that's why I ask for feedback here.

A TAR will be opened through the point of contact that handles TAR's. We hope to get an "official" word from Oracle on this. But, the fact that some people have said the extent size bigger than max_io_size didn't work has us wondering.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781

Author: Larry Elkins
  INET: elkinsl_at_flash.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 07 2002 - 18:57:05 CST