Re: RMAN Incremental backups.

From: <Prasada.Gunda1_at_hartfordlife.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:48:46 -0800

Thank you ALL for your responses. Rachel, I quoted exactly what the documentation says. It is in oracle 8i backup and recovery training doc by oracle. It is on page 43 of 12th chapter. That is why I was confused and seeking some suggestions.

Since our system is data warehouse system, we decided to run in noarchive log mode. All we care is, restoring the last backup. From the business point of view, It is okay to see the data as of last backup (that is previous day) and repopulate current day's data. We do not want to take the burden of running in archive log mode.

Having said this (please see my earlier mail down below for the questions I asked),
1. Are the incremental backups are valid which are done when the database is in mount state?
2. Since I want to keep the db open while doing rman backups, I wanted to open the db in archive log mode during backups(backup including archive logs) just for the sake of backups. Do you think the backups are not good for restore.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Prasad

                    Rachel

                    Carmichael           To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <wisernet100@        cc:

                    YAHOO.COM>           Subject:     Re: RMAN Incremental backups.

                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.

                    com

                    02/06/2002

                    01:08 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

the documentation told you: no they are not

just because the incremental backup completed does not mean that it is usable.

Either leave the database in archivelog mode to do incremental backups or keep it in noarchivelog mode (and why you would not want to do that is a whole other discussion) and do full backups

Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings! http://greetings.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

  INET: Prasada.Gunda1_at_hartfordlife.com