Re: compressing rman backups through pipes

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:58:50 -0800

That is what we have done since our backups have gotten so big that they won't fit on one tape (RS6000/DLT tapedriv e). I limit the size of each file to 2gig. Rman can't really handle files larger than 2 gig, at least 8.0.6.3 can't. I also limit my datafile size to 2 gig so I can backup one datafile per backup piece. I was just hoping to skip a step and do the compress at the same time as the backups.

I have been using rman for 4 years and it works for us. The newer versions are better than the old 8.0.4 version which was very buggy. I can adjust my procedures to accommodate the increased size of the databases.

Ruth
Author: Ruth Gramolini
  INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us