RE: RMAN Incremental backups.

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <Thomas.Mercadante_at_Labor.State.Ny.Us>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:57:56 -0800

Prasad,

Incremental backups are only valid if your database is in ARCHIVELOG mode. Think about it - to be able to recover using incremental backups, you *Need* the archivelog files to apply changes. These are not being created when you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode.

Secondly, flipping between ARCHIVELOG and NOARCHIVELOG to perform Rman backups is a *total* waste of time. Again, you will not be able to use the backups to restore your database (except for the MOUNT/cold backups).

Your choices are:
Run in NOARCHIVELOG mode, and perform MOUNT/Rman or cold database backups. Run in ARCHIVELOG mode and perform Rman/database open backups.

or use older-style non-Rman backup methods.

I would not be flipping a production database back and forth between ARCHIVELOG/NOARCHIVELOG mode just to use Rman. Makes no sense.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: Thomas.Mercadante_at_Labor.State.Ny.Us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 06 2002 - 12:57:56 CST