Re: Creating a missing datafile

From: Deepak Thapliyal <deepakthapliyal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:01:58 -0800

Hi Ross,

have u by any chance restored a backupcontrol file that was backedup before you added this datafile.

Is this the case? If yes than what oracle is doing is putting a placeholder entry for this file and calling it missing file.. here is what u can do (assumes that you have all the archivelogs available since this file was created ..

restore the db from backup and mount it ..

SQL> select name from v$datafile where file#=41;

SQL> ALTER DATABASE
     CREATE DATAFILE
    'use the out of above sql' as
   '/u2/db/archive2_2.dbf';

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile ;

Use Auto till it asks for non-existent arch (supply ur online log)

Media recovery complete after online log is applied

technically u should be able to open the db in noresetlogs mode at this time .. however i have seen that it does not .. so here is the workaround ..

SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
SQL> create controlf file ..< from ur trace>
SQL> recover database; -- takes one sec to complete
SQL> Alter database open;

hth
Deepak
--- Ross Collado <Ross.Collado_at_techpac.com> wrote:

> Env.
> HP-UX 10.2
> Oracle 7.1.6
> Archivelog mode
>

> Found this in the alert.log
>
> Dictionary check beginning
> File #41 found in data dictionary but not in
> controlfile.
> Creating OFFLINE file 'MISSING0041' in the
> controlfile.
> Dictionary check complete
>
> I did a dump of the controlfile to trace and
> checked. It had MISSING0041 in
> it. However, I did a find on this file and couldn't
> find it. Does this
> mean MISSING0041 was just updated in the controlfile
> and was not actually
> created as a physical file?
> I know the complete path/filename of what this
> MISSING0041 datafile should
> be (it should be /u2/db/archive2_2.dbf). This is
> actually the 3rd datafile
> of ARCHIVE tablespace. If this file existed then it
> would have been an easy
> rename of datafile via "ALTER TABLESPACE ... RENAME
> DATAFILE...". But there
> is no physical file to rename.
> I don't think I can do a create a file via "ALTER
> DATABASE CREATE
> DATAFILE..." in this case because the controlfile
> won't have the correct
> path/filename of this datafile (it's got
> 'MISSING0041' SIZE 500M).
> How do I go about recreating a physical file having
> the correct filename and
> size?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ross
>
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Ross Collado
> INET: Ross.Collado_at_techpac.com
>
> Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California -- Public Internet

> E-Mail message
> to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of
> 'ListGuru') and in
> ORACLE-L
> from). You may
> (like subscribing).