Creating a missing datafile

From: Ross Collado <Ross.Collado_at_techpac.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:51:44 -0800

Env.
HP-UX 10.2
Oracle 7.1.6
Archivelog mode

Found this in the alert.log

Dictionary check beginning
File #41 found in data dictionary but not in controlfile. Creating OFFLINE file 'MISSING0041' in the controlfile. Dictionary check complete

I did a dump of the controlfile to trace and checked. It had MISSING0041 in it. However, I did a find on this file and couldn't find it. Does this mean MISSING0041 was just updated in the controlfile and was not actually created as a physical file?
I know the complete path/filename of what this MISSING0041 datafile should be (it should be /u2/db/archive2_2.dbf). This is actually the 3rd datafile of ARCHIVE tablespace. If this file existed then it would have been an easy rename of datafile via "ALTER TABLESPACE ... RENAME DATAFILE...". But there is no physical file to rename.
I don't think I can do a create a file via "ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE..." in this case because the controlfile won't have the correct path/filename of this datafile (it's got 'MISSING0041' SIZE 500M). How do I go about recreating a physical file having the correct filename and size?

TIA, Ross

Author: Ross Collado
  INET: Ross.Collado_at_techpac.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:51:44 CST