RE: Security for Table/Procedure

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <Thomas.Mercadante_at_Labor.State.Ny.Us>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:32:37 -0800

<SPAN

class=512052420-05022002>Laura,
<SPAN

class=512052420-05022002>
Have
you looked at public synonyms for your stored procedures?  This will solve your problem of not being able to find the procedure.
<SPAN

class=512052420-05022002>
<SPAN

class=512052420-05022002>Secondly, where are you creating the stored procedures?  I would create them in the same account as the tables, and grant execute access to whomever needs them.
<SPAN

class=512052420-05022002>
<SPAN

class=512052420-05022002>Finally, you are correct in trying to resolve this now, before development gets too far along.  Write back to the list - we are all willing to help!

Hope
this helps.
Tom Mercadante <FONT face=Arial
size=2>Oracle Certified Professional

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Burton, Laura L.   [mailto:BurtonL_at_prismplus.com]Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 2:46   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Security for Table/Procedure
  I know that you can grant access on a   table whether it be select, update, delete, etc, and I know that to keep from   granting access to a table you can use   procedures and grant execute rights to the procedure.    Our situation is that we want to use
  procedures for security, but the procedures select data to populate a form and   then update if applicable<FONT
  face=Arial size=2>.  We had talked about   granting select to the tables<FONT
  face=Arial size=2> by using a role since anyone can view the data, and then   using procedures to update the tables.  The only problem is that if we   grant select to the tables and the application executes the procedure within   it, the
  procedure will not<FONT face=Arial
  size=2> be found and even the select will not   happen.
  Could some of you share how you handle   security?  Am I missing something with tables/procedures?  Any ideas   would be appreciated.  We are just
  beginning development and need to <FONT

  face=Arial size=2>have<FONT face=Arial
  size=2> a handle on how we are going to do this<FONT face=Arial
  size=2>.

  Thanks,
  <FONT face=Arial
size=2>Laura Received on Tue Feb 05 2002 - 14:32:37 CST