Looking for FM T R

From: Bellows, Bambi <BBellows_at_usg.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:57:42 -0800

color:navy'>Friends -

Arial;color:navy'>Once upon<span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  a time, a very long time ago, I had a large black notebook.  I found
it in my cube when I moved into it in 1985.<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  I think it was from v4 days as it was old and dog-eared and we were currently on v5.0.14 or thereabouts.<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  Anyway, this notebook was a tutorial that Oracle put out on all its wonderful features in SQL*Plus, based on SCOTT/TIGER.  There were queries and
joins and correlated subqueries and uncorrelated <span class=SpellE>subqueries.
There was GROUP BYs<span
class=GramE>  and <span
class=SpellE>CONNECTs.  There
were UNIONs and INTERSECTs
and MINUSs.
There were DECODEs and NVLs
and lots of different DATE functions.
There were tricks to do with MOD, and ABS and SIGN, and the 101 ways to spend your vacation in the DUAL table.
Overall, it was a grand frolic of SQL, and, geek that I am, I really enjoyed it.

Arial;color:navy'>Of course, I left that notebook in the cube when I left the company having gone through the book to teach myself SQL after long years of QUEL.  The years have gone by, and
now I'm in a new company with a lovely boss who's an old geek too, but on the IBM side.  This is his
first exposure to Oracle and I wanted to get him a grand frolic through the non-ANSI standard extensions of Oracle, and would have *<span style='font-weight:bold'>thought* that a book similar to my old black notebook but even bigger and better would still be in existence somewhere.

Arial;color:navy'>But try as I may, I can't find anything like it.<span style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  In fact, even getting a vanilla 5 page "this is scott/tiger" set of introductory exercises is not as easy as one might think.  I'm
going to snag one off of google.<span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  But, in the meantime, does anyone know of an online version of "this-is-all-the-cool-sh*t-you-can-do-in-Oracle-whether-or-not-its-ANSI-standard-(ANSI-is-for-wimps-anyway)" floating around?

Arial;color:navy'>So as not to pester the List, if you could email me directly, that would sure be swell.<span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  And, as always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Arial;color:navy'>

Arial;color:navy'>Best wishes!

10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Bambi.<font size=2 color=navy face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial; color:navy'> Received on Tue Feb 05 2002 - 12:57:42 CST