RE: compressing rman backups through pipes

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:37:54 -0800

Ruth - If you have space for individual RMAN backups, but not enough room for all RMAN backups, consider this. For simplicity, assume that you only have two production databases on your system.

This means that if you have to recover database A, then you'll have to delete backup B and read A's backup in from tape. That means the recovery time will be longer. But maybe not that much longer than if you were using a media manager and writing directly to tape.

        Actually, we are considering a schedule like this down the road. Buy a cheap NAS unit just to hold backups until they are copied to tape.

        Incremental backups, staggered days, etc. may make this arrangement more usable.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com