Re: OPS DBA work (was dumb question)

From: Bjørn Engsig <bengsig_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 06:33:50 -0800

You're right John - my comments were clearly more of a general nature than specific followup to your statements.

The cool thing is that I expect to get lots of nice business to do if/when people start following Larry's vision:  Many nodes of cheap hardware with Linux and RAC on top:-)

Rgds, Bjørn.

Hallas John wrote:

Bjorn,

I don't have any issues with what you say - in fact it really agrees mostly with what I stated. You have added 2 important factors though, better application  knowledge and use of raw file systems.

I use Compaq Tru64 so that does not require raw files systems but other o/s certainly do.

I think you were a bit unfair to suggest that  I meant you only needed to check a few init.ora parameters out  ( 'it is far more than knowing the GC_ parameters' ). I am fully aware of the need to look at freelists and freelist groups  -  I encompassed that in my statement

'
Management and tuning of internode communication. Specifically reducing the level of pinging  - use of GC% init.ora variables '

Anyway I don't think we are that far away from each other

Regards

John