Temporal or Time-Oriented Databases (was auditing tables)

From: Craig Munday <Craig.Munday_at_ecard.com.au>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 15:41:52 -0800

The thread on auditing tables and the mention of temporal or time-oriented databases prompted me to ask about a design problem that has recurred on different projects for me.  Seeing as this problem has occurred multiple times I figured that other people have probably encountered the same and have different solutions.  I'm hoping this email might spark some discussion/debate on the merits of this and other solutions.

Essentially the problem is looking up historical data about an entity in a reliable and performant manner.  For example, paging (via the web) through a set of transactions that have occurred on an account.  Or finding the value of an account at a particular point in time, in order to reconcile the account.  I'm assuming that any solution would support the system running 24/7 because that has been a requirement of most of the projects I've worked on.

A number of designs that I have seen have used a time field as the key to selecting subsets of the transactions for generation of web pages or for the identification of a particular transaction.  I've found that relying on time for this purpose has the following consequences:

  1. It is possible that more than one transaction will occur within the same second and therefore make it difficult or impossible to order the transactions correctly (assuming no other suitable key exists).  This is applicable to the discussion on auditing tables too.
  2. Find the next or previous batch of n rows is difficult because you have no idea of the selection criteria to use.  Typically the from and to dates are set to encompass ALL the data and only the first n rows are fetched from a result set that contains more than data than necessary.  I don't think this is necessarily a major problem so long as no sorting is involved to evaluate the result set.

I've found that a more general solution is to have two relations, one to represent the entity itself and the other to represent the history of changes to the entity.  For example,

create Entity
(

        myKey             number(38),  -- primary key
        lastVersionNumber number(38),
        attribute1        number(38),  -- non-version dependent data
}

create EntityHistory
{

        myKey          number(38),  -- primary key
        versionNumber  number(38),  -- primary key
        startTime      date,
        endTime        date
        attribute2     number(38), -- version dependent data
        attribute3     number(38)  -- version dependent data
}

The key to the EntityHistory table contains the key of Entity plus a version number that is allocated from Entity.lastVersionNumber.  StartTime and EndTime denote when the change was in effect and both are needed to perform a time based search effectively.  This design as the following consequences:

  1. The versionNumber provides a definitive order of the EntityHistory records for each Entity (identified by myKey).
  2. The application has to lock Entity.lastVersionNumber to log a change to the Entity.  This does not appear to add any additional serialisation to the application because the applications I have seen would have locked the row anyway.  For example, if Entity contained the current account balance, the application would have to lock the row in order to update the balance.
  3. EntityHistory.versionNumber can be used to find the next n changes to Entity.  Similarly, finding the first, last or previous n changes to Entity is just as straight forward.  In this case only the data that is needed is returned within the result set.
  4. The startTime and endTime can be used to find changes to an Entity based on time.
  5. Data that is not version dependent can be stored in Entity so that it is not repeated unnecessarily.
  6. Other relations that are related to a particular version of Entity as it existed sometime in the past have a solid key to refer to in EntityHistory, rather than relying on the time based attributes.

Any and all comments welcome.

Cheers,
Craig.

Author: Thomas B. Cox
  INET: tbcox23_at_yahoo.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists