RE: Oracle Tunning

From: SARKAR, Samir <Samir.SARKAR_at_nottingham.sema.slb.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 02:44:24 -0800

Well Mogens, Niemiec's book
does have its plus points as well. What we basically want from Oracle
is improved response times
and faster performance........which is all about how many hits we r getting
and improving the hit ratio
is something any DBA will try to attain. There is a wonderful
technique in his book about how to estimate the size of the db_block_buffers
by mythically raising it by
a certain amount and checking the hit ratio or decreasing it and checking the impact. This way, we
can arrive at an optimum value for the db_block_buffers. How to interpret the
UTLESTAT/UTLBSTAT statistics r very clearly and lucidly explained as r the various join methods, improper use
of indexes including index suppression, using the x$bh table to monitor buffer use,
a very clear explanation of
the Explain Plan, new tips for Oracle 8/8i, how to use PL/SQL for better performance etc.
The best part is the book
has lots of very useful queries and screen reprints to help us understand the

scenario
better.

Am not saying that it is
the best tuning book in the market but the techniques of tuning r very clearly explained
in it.
Tuning by wait events is
still very arcane and not explained clearly exactly how to do it in many books though
I haven't read the 101
book. I still find it difficult to properly interpret all the various wait events and latch contention and how to go
about tuning
them And until Steve Adams comes out with his advanced performance tuning book,
we will all have to
wait.

Samir
Samir Sarkar Oracle DBA - Lennon
Team Schlumberger<FONT
face=Impact color=#800000>Sema
Email :
samir.sarkar_at_nottingham.sema.slb.com <FONT face=Verdana color=#000080
size=1>            samir.sarkar_at_sema.co.uk <FONT face=Verdana color=#000080 size=1>Phone : +44 (0) 115 - 957 6217 EPABX : +44 (0) 115 - 957 6418
Ext. 76217 Fax
: +44 (0) 115 - 957
6018

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Mogens Nørgaard   [mailto:mln_at_miracleas.dk]Sent: 31 January 2002 18:39To:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Re: Oracle   TunningCommit; :-)In my opinion, you shouldn't   spend your money on buying the Niemich book. It's full of errors (increase the   buffer cache hit ratio, for instance) and the wrong approach (no time-based   measurement method, just checklist after checklist).Buy 101 by Gaja.   Then buy Tom Kyte's One-On-One book for general fantastic advise on anything.   Then go to oraperf.com (Anjo), hotsos.com (Millsap), ixora.com.au (Steve Adams) and Jonathan Lewis' website (can never remember the adresse). Or go to   MiracleAS.dk and find all these links, including the book   links.MogensMiracle A/SDenmarkFarnsworth, Dave   wrote:
  Binay,I totally agree with this recommendation from Jared for a tuning book.Read the first three chapters, stop and re-read them. And if you playyour cards right you can even get a question answered by an author onthis list. Cool, eh.Dave-----Original Message-----Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 3:05 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LStart with 'Oracle Performance Tuning 101', available at anamazon.com near you.JaredOn Tuesday 29 January 2002 09:10, BINAY.KUMAR_at_ponl.com wrote:     Hi Everyone Can anyone suggest me some very good book on Oracle Tunning.Please only

    mention those books  which you think is really worth purchasingBinay KumarOracle Cerified DBALondon-------------------------------------------------------------------The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary userof the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also beprivileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you shouldnot copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of itin any form whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in errorplease notify us by telephone or e-mail the sender by replying tothis message, and then delete this e-mail and other copies of itfrom your computer system. Thank you.We reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications throughour network.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.