RE: ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs SHRINK

From: Sinard Xing <sinardyxing_at_bcs-ach.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 02:21:34 -0800

Hi all,

I did a test and my conclusions are:

  1. You can shrink your rollback segment down to (next + initial + a bit of header (not so sure the size)) not down to initial * minextents this will cause ora 1555 for sure What I did for test "ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs SHRINK TO 1M; to get minimal shrink. Oracle will shrink "as smaller size as possible".
  2. You must set if next > initial then Optimal size > next * minextents elseif initial > next then Optimal size > initial * minextents else Oracle recommend initial = next endif

Note: Sorry I'm not log my sql command during test

This is trial and error type of test

Supporting Document from Oracle:

Set an Optimal Number of Extents for Each Rollback Segment

You should carefully assess the kind of transactions the system runs when setting the OPTIMAL parameter for each rollback segment. For a system that executes long-running transactions frequently, OPTIMAL should be large so that Oracle does not have to shrink and allocate extents frequently. Also, for a system that executes long queries on active data, OPTIMAL should be large to avoid "snapshot too old" errors. OPTIMAL should be smaller for a system that mainly executes short transactions and queries so that the rollback segments remain small enough to be cached in memory, thus improving system performance.

Sinardy

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

Author: Sinard Xing