Re: Oracle Tunning (DRPP)

From: Danisment Gazi Unal (Unal Bilisim) <dunal_at_unal-bilisim.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:50:10 -0800

Hello Mogens and others,
Yes,
You are right. But the current time based performance techniques still include errors. Prior to 80's(when I was a child), yes, ratio based measurements were the method. Then, wait-event based profiling appeared. In fact, this was an adaptation of Response Time Performance Profiling to Oracle. Unfortunately, there are significant errors in current response time based performance profilings. I've been working on a new performance profiling for 1 year. and now, I've almost completed my paper. The name is Deductive Response-time Performance Profiling (DRPP). It'll be available on my site after my seminar in Turkey. You can see the contents at http://www.unal-bilisim.com/resources/drpp_seminar.html .
Also,
Thanks to Jonathan Lewis, K Gopalakrishnan, and Tim Gorman for reviewing this paper for 1 year.
regards...

Mogens Nørgaard wrote:
Commit; :-)
In my opinion, you shouldn't spend your money on buying the Niemich book. It's full of errors (increase the buffer cache hit ratio, for instance) and the wrong approach (no time-based measurement method, just checklist after checklist).
Buy 101 by Gaja. Then buy Tom Kyte's One-On-One book for general fantastic advise on anything. Then go to oraperf.com (Anjo), hotsos.com (Millsap), ixora.com.au (Steve Adams) and Jonathan Lewis' website (can never remember the adresse). Or go to MiracleAS.dk and find all these links, including the book links.
Mogens
Miracle A/S
Denmark
Farnsworth, Dave wrote:

Binay,

I totally agree with this recommendation from Jared for a tuning book. Read the first three chapters, stop and re-read them.  And if you play your cards right you can even get a question answered by an author on this list.  Cool, eh.

Dave