Re: Not able to drop table

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:13:53 -0800

Remco,

When you say you cannot drop, what do you mean? Does it wait forever? If so, your table could be made up of thousands of extents. There are tips on Metalink on how to drop a table with a large number of extents, and to make it run faster? Look up.

And as for the dictionary table you are talking off, those would be the space transaction tables, mainly uet$, fet$, obj$, seg$. But its not advicable. The only correct way is to use the tips provided on Metalink, or wait for the statement to be processed. Saying that, I "HAD" to do it once on a development database, where we had to drop a tablespace with huge number of free extents, and no used ones. We stopped SMON from coalescing by setting an event, deleted the rows from fet$, added one row for the entire tablespace, and then dropped it. We did have some trivial problem later, while recreating the tablespace. I cant seem to remember what it was.

Having said all that, I would like to add a disclaimer ;-)

I do not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of this information. In no event, will I be liable for any damages, direct or indirect, losses, expenses, or outages, or system failure. If you are brave and helpless enough, to do the things I did, it's at your own risk. ;-)

Raj

                    "Daemen, Remco"

                    <Remco.Daemen_at_we        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    rklinq.nl>              cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     Not able to drop table

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    January 31, 2002

                    10:35 AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Hi,

I'm stuck with a table I can't drop and can't update. Select works fine, status is valid and the name appears in dba_tables and dba_objects. I seem to remember someone posting a solution to this problem some time ago, but can't find it. Something like manually adding a record in a dictionary table, and then dropping the table. Anyone remember the name of that table ? Or some other solution ?

Regards, Remco

Author: Daemen, Remco
  INET: Remco.Daemen_at_werklinq.nl