Re: OPS$

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:28:16 -0800

I just remembered why remote_os_authent was so insecure in v7 sqlnet v2: you could become SYSTEM just by setting USER_ID=SYSTEM in Oracle.ini, but the SYSTEM user did *not* need to be identified externally.

That's what was so insecure. I've just been trying to see if any similar insecurities still exist. ( geez I love English :)

So far, no.

Jared

Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
01/30/02 07:45 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: OPS$

Sounds about right to me.

The security part, that is. :)

Jared

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 19:25, Seefelt, Beth wrote:
> I know I'm probably one of the few NT weenies on the list so I hope I
don't
> get too much guff from the unix guys...
>
> Disabling remote_os_authent and using external authentication are not
> mutually exclusive, and its not completely devoid of security in NT.
>
> Consider this configuration
>
> remote_os_authent=false
> osauth_prefix_domain=true
>
> sqlnet.authentication_services=(nts)
>
> Now I can create externally authenticated database accounts, prefixed
with
> the domain name instead of OPS$. When they connect to the database
Oracle
> will authenticate them via Kerberos or NTLM, so their password doesn't
even
> have to be passed over the network. And they are authenticated by the
> domain, so creating a rogue server and creating a user account with the
> same name still isn't going to get you authenticated, unless you can set
> the password on the rogue machine to the same password as the domain
> account.
>
> Or am I living in a rose colored dream world?
>
> Beth

CDC,
> Cray, or anything us old folks might have used 10 years ago, OPS$ is
> terrific. If your operating system is making Bill Gates richer, you
have
> no security to speak of.
>
> The question you want to ask yourself is how good is your front-end
> security?

<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com