RE: 8.1.7.2.5 interMedia Text Slow Sync - SOLVED

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:42:44 -0800

For what seems to be the few of you who use interMedia Text, I found the problem - it was ME. :-(

I had set (in CTX_Parameters) Max_Index_Memory to 200MB (from the default of 12.5MB) and used 200MB when I created indexes, but had overlooked Default_Index_Memory (default of 12.5MB), which is used by CTX_DDL.Sync_Index.

After I set Default_Index_Memory to 200MB, re-syncs jumped from about 750 CLOBs per minute to over 2,500 per minute. Oracle was able to sort an entire batch of 157,000 CLOBs in memory, instead of only about 8,000 at a time - surprise, surprise with 16 times the memory available.

BTW, it didn't hurt that I spread the datafiles of the tablespaces that hold the DR$<>$X segments across 2 drives, instead of just 1. That boosted re-syncs from 600 CLOBs per minute to 750. I/O distribution never hurts.

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA