RE: ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs SHRINK

From: Johnston, Tim <TJohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:26:32 -0800

You know what? I thought the same thing... But, the curious side of me decided to give it a try to be sure... And guess what... It works? Learn something new everyday...

SQL> select segment_name,sum(bytes) from dba_segments where tablespace_name = 'RBS' and segment_name

SEGMENT_NAME SUM(BYTES)

------------------------ ----------
RBS17                      22364160

SQL> select rs.optsize, rs.extents
  2 from dba_rollback_segs drs,
  3 v$rollstat rs
  4 where drs.segment_name = 'RBS17'
  5 and drs.segment_id = rs.usn;

   OPTSIZE EXTENTS
---------- ----------
  22020096 21

SQL> alter rollback segment RBS17 shrink to 10M;

Rollback segment altered.

SQL> select segment_name,sum(bytes) from dba_segments where tablespace_name = 'RBS' and segment_name

SEGMENT_NAME SUM(BYTES)

------------------------- ----------
RBS17                       10649600

SQL> select rs.optsize, rs.extents