Alter system check datafiles

From: Hallas John <John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:01:10 -0800

Paul Sherman wrote 'I tried an 'alter system check datafiles'

I had never come across that command before and looked at the documentation which states that 'in a distributed database system, such as an Oracle Parallel Server environment, updates an instance's SGA from the database control file to reflect information on all online datafiles'. Global actions against all nodes , local against the current instance only.

I did check out the OPS install/config guide but did not found anything more in there. I was failing to understand in which circumstances the command would be required, knowing that we are running a number of OPS set ups and I had never used it. Looking further on Metalink I found the following note (Note:1071756.6)

When running "ALTER SYSTEM CHECK DATAFILES" it delivers a "STATEMENT PROCESSED" but there is no recorded activity. There is no alert file even though the book says there is.  You can do an ALTER SYSTEM CHECK DATAFILES if the database is only mounted. But the command does not return an error if a datafile is missing. Solution Description:

The ALTER SYSTEM CHECK DATAFILES command was designed to solve a particular problem of file accessibility.  This most often has to do with OPS, and disks that are shared among several machines.  There are cases where a disk may be accessible on one machine, but not another, because of configuration or OS problems. Imagine that you have a datafile that is marked OFFLINE.  If the disk where that datafile lives is accessible to a particular machine in an OPS installation, then you can bring it ONLINE.  If, however, another machine can't get to that disk at the time you bring it ONLINE, then that instance won't be able to verify the datafile.  Hence in that instance, the controlfile will have the datafile listed as ONLINE, but the datafile still will not be properly accessible and entered in the SGA.  Explanation:

The ALTER SYSTEM CHECK DATAFILES command was designed to allow you to correct the problem from the OS perspective and make the disk accessible. This would then trigger the instance into recognizing this fact, verifying the datafile, and thereby making it available to Oracle in that instance. So the command does not quite do what might be implied by the current documentation.  It does not verify access to all online datafiles,rather, it only looks at those that are now online, but which were not previously verified.  Once a datafile has been verified, it is considered verified for all time, until you OFFLINE the file or until the database is dismounted in that instance.

I hope someone founds that useful, at least I have learnt a bit more by checking it out. Thanks Paul for mentioning it, if only in passing.

John

Oracle DBA
MMO2
* john.hallas_at_btcellnet.net
( 0113 388 6062    Desk
) 07713 066194      BT Mobile

This electronic message contains information from the mmO2 plc Group which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.