RE: e: deleting a datafile on OPS

From: Johnston, Tim <TJohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:45:42 -0800

But, "offline" and "removed from the system" are two different things... You are correct that your datafile is offline... That just means that it is unavailable for use... But, it is still part of your database... The DROP keyword does not mean that the datafile is removed from the system... It is a special keyword that allows you to offline a datafile while running in NOARCHIVELOG... If you check v$datafile you should see that the file is in a status of offline or recover.. I'm not 100% sure what happens when you offline drop but I think you may have to recover the datafile ( you have the archive logs right? ) before you can bring it online... If it was offlined normal, you should be able to bring it online without recovery... But, you should be able to figure that out by the status in v$datafile... v$recover_file is also handy... So, once you know you can bring it online, you can rename it to what you wish and bring it online...

Good Luck
Tim

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com