RE: Microsoft plans to bundle iFS copycat into it operating syste

From: Bellows, Bambi <BBellows_at_usg.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:12:31 -0800

WARNING! POSSIBLE REPOST! WARNING! POSSIBLE REPOST! WARNING! Folks --

This bounced back to me... so you may have gotten it twice. If you did, please delete this posting.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Maks --

They are different. Edlin was a line editor that showed the screen. In that, it was in the same family as many of the older editors from the era of the switchover from linewriters (e.g., DECWriters) to terminals (e.g., tvi912c, vt52, beehive, etc). Various operating systems had written bastardized editors which attempted to make use of the advantages screens provide (paging up and down) while simultaneously giving the advantages of the old line editors. Many [dead] operating systems used modes (e.g., Vulcan), others transitioned slowly to screen-based editors (e.g., vi, TPU).

Now, DOS, being originally QDOS (Quick-and-dirty Operating System) was a huge rip-off of early VMS (v4) and BSD Unix. Edlin was a screen based line editor where you could *see* things in lines other than the one you were working on, but couldn't really do anything with them. In this, it most closely resembles ed of the currently extant Unix editors. sed, is and always has been, a stream editor. It takes as input a number of characters, processes them, and then produces a number of characters as output. Yes, sed commands can be used within vi, as ed commands can, but sed as a stand alone tool has nothing whatsoever to do with edlin. As for timeframes, I believe sed predates edlin by a hair, although it is newer technology.

Of course, back in my day, we had 1s and 0s, and we ate mice if we could catch them. That's why mice have strings attached to them. They look like cables, but actually they're just wires holding the mice in place in case there's ever a techfamine like in the old days. A lot of mice came over from the pogroms in the old country. And printer cables too. But that's a story for another day.

Oh, yes, back in the old days, shift-6 was a cents key. It was easier putting in your $0.02.

HTH,
Bambi.

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com