Re: RTFM questions (formally RE: PL/SQL)

From: orantdba <orantdba_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:10:34 -0800

Hi JoJo,

This is incorrect.  A truncate removes all data from the table and moves the High Water Mark to the beginning of the table.  Some internal's guru might be able to tell you that the data is still there,  but you can't get to it, so it doesn't really matter.  BTW , you can't issue a rollback of the truncate command.

John

jojo_at_jojo-zawawi.com wrote:

  I'm a complete newbie, so I may be off-base here, but I believe thattruncating a table does not delete any data from the table. It moves thecursor up, thereby closing up the "empty space" where data has previouslybeen deleted.--JoJo-----Original Message-----Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 10:46 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LTo our resident Oracle Expert who just 6 months (July 26 2001) ago postedthe following e-mailIf I remember rightly, deleting rows from the table does NOT free uptablespace. In order to do that you have to trunctate the table (althoughthis of course deletes all data from the table)...I can't for the life of meremember how you adjust the space the table is actually using after doing adelete...(to everyone else) would an analyze work?Kev."would and analyze work", leave it out kev(or thomas), my sides aresplitting Im laughing tha t much""Dude you really are a sage"I agree dude, you tell them beginners how u became such an expert in 6months and didn't come out with stupid ****** comments like above, and dude,explain more about this defrag,space adjusting tool "the analyze command":Unfortunately I only got dragged into this because I just saw one of yourrude replies and I was having a bad day and didn't like your attitude., Ihave no idea about the guy you were slagging off as I don't get time to readall the posts, but it looks like 6 months ago you were no better than him,and nobody on the list, I recall, treated you with the contempt that youactually deserved.As somebody on the list said "opinions are like arseholes, everybody's gotone and they all stink" (classic ,classic quote):Anyhow I rest my case Kev (or thomas):----- Original Message -----To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" !
!

href="mailto:ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com"><ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 8:12 PM

    And your point caller??TIC ;o)-----Original Message-----Sent: 29 January 2002 15:41To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LNo offense to anybody, but I think this is rather arrogant. The list is

    for

      anybody (unless the list owner decides it's just for experienced dba's). Iam brand new to Oracle, having just started learning it this week.  I caneasily foresee having what some might consider stupid or RTFM questions,

      and

        being possibly unable to find the answer or having problems deciphering

        the

          manual.  I myself am somewhat of a Word pro (and my vba code samples page

          is

            the #1 ranked site of its kind on most major search engines) and I help

            all

              kinds of newbies out on a Word list of which I am a member, as do all theother members of the list.  Everybody on that list is extremely gracious

              and

                nobody complains -- and the people with questions get the help they need,with nobody sitting back going "boy are you stupid / lazy".  I am hopingthat I can get the same kind of help here, when I am ready for it, that Iand others give on other lists.--JoJo-----Original Message-----Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 10:20 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LThe problem is that if you always ask the group for help, you never learnwhere the information is within the manuals or other reference

                documentation

                  and the group also gets cluttered with trivia.I agree with you that the list is here to help people and I personally donot mind the odd naive question from a new DBA, but it is the "...can't bebothered to look up the manual.." attitude that is most frustrating.  Whenyou ask the format of a command (for example) to the list, you arepotentionally asking 1000's of people the same question who will all have

                    spend the time to filter these questions - we are all busy people and Ipersonally do not want to use my time in this way.  I'm sure you can seethat this is a much more expensive option than asking the person next toyou.Cheers,Craig.-----Original Message-----<mailto:rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae> ]Sent: Tuesday, 29 January 2002 2:55 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LWhy do you bother being on this List: The list is here to help fellowDBA'S. Have you never said to one of your collegues , what is the format

                    of

                      this command, or how can I do that, when you simply cant be bothered tolook it up in the manual (either your busy or just down right lazy):Sometimes this list is useful for just that. So why dont u lighten up

                      dude.

                        --Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com<http://www.orafaq.com>--Author:  INET: rabbit@emirates.net.aeFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HE
LP command for other information (like subscribing).--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com--Author: Thomas, Kevin  INET: Kevin.Thomas@calanais.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).< !

!

br>