RE: Database Performance Question

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:10:30 -0800

Parentitions and
Maternalized Views are supposed to come out in 10i.
<FONT color=#0000ff

size=2>
(Paternalized
views take longer, they required retrofitting onto the kernel
command tree.
)
<FONT face=Arial

color=#0000ff size=2><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
Godlewski, Melissa [mailto:Melissa.Godlewski_at_hq.doe.gov]Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 11:36 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Database Performance Question

  Partitions, Materialized views, bit map indexes.   -----Original Message----- From:
  SRAJENDRAN_at_nlfs.com [<A
  href="mailto:SRAJENDRAN_at_nlfs.com">mailto:SRAJENDRAN_at_nlfs.com]   Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 10:25 AM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: Database Performance Question   Hello all:
  We have an application that is having slow response time   against an 8i database, I would like to improve the   response time.  This is a web based application   accessing the database with about 2000 users. Most of the <FONT   size=2>application queries are based on complex joins on 4 big tables with   each having over 5 million rows( biggest table has 18   million rows).  I have tuned the Package queries   for the best explain plan possible, but still do not   seem to make dramatic change in the response time.  Though, I was   able to make significant headway tuning these packages   by bringing down response times from 7 minutes to   under 3 minutes. But this is not an acceptable <FONT   size=2>response time from a web-application perspective.    I am considering creating data cubes based on the most   frequently used join conditions and pre-populate them   on a nightly basis or use triggers to update the cube   simultaneously.  I am hoping that this enhance   the response times.
  I would greatly appreciate your suggestions or opinions on   this idea. If you have an alternative/better way of   achiving this please enlighten me.
  Thank very much. Srini
  Rajendran.