Install problem solved

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:38:20 -0800

Last week I posted the note below about installation problems we were experiencing. The Oracle installer just failed with no message. We have solved to problem and thought I would share the solution with the list.

        The installer was looking at a file '/usr/var/opt/oracle/orainst.loc', deciding that it didn't need to upgrade an existing database, and halting/failing. That is our interpretation anyway. Deleting this file caused the installer to run successfully. On the Compaq Tru64 we can't recall Oracle ever using a file in that path. Normally Oracle uses /etc for that sort of thing. Lots of other things were tried in this endeavor so I can't discount the fact that some of those changes might have helped resolve the problem. We found this especially puzzling because we installed 8.1.7 on another machine cleanly and this file was present, but apparently didn't upset the installer.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com